Inserters are usually the equipment that gathers items and move it over short distances. They likely to have fixed direction and can easily move items from behind. They can easily shift items from one moving belt to another but also extract items from and insert items into storage devices.
Brief description about an inserting machine work
Talking about the inserting machine, it is a machine made up electro-mechanical, mechanical, electrical component. These components have been assembled and manufactured together to create a machine that is robotic as a result it can perform inserting of mail at high speeds. It contains a service manual in inner working area of the machine. Its maintenance, repairs as well as operating responsibility should be given to only qualified and trained personnel. However the inserter operator has to know all the necessary idea about the equipment like how to set up, run and make all the adjustments to effectively and safely run the machine.
The inserter is usually made and designed by keeping safety in mind from time itself it start being built. Each inserter equipment come with numerous safety features along with its design. The inserter operator should make their safety as main concern. Before operating the inserter, the operator should properly look over the guidelines and follow them properly. The operator should put some common sense and make it habit while following the guidelines of inserter equipment.
Safety is responsibility and first
1. Working area should be clean and organized:
Using the inserter means handling a variety of different materials at the same time. It is very necessary to maintain the workplace before starting work on inserting equipment. A well maintained and organized workspace is not only a safer place but also enhance the productivity as an inserter operator.
- the walkway and floor around the inserter should be kept clear of any kind of hazard like boxes, papers, debris, etc.
- avoid keeping any kind of drink and food nearer to inserting equipment.
- duties of inserter operator also include refilling the tanks and seal the envelope. Do not try to fill water tank while the inserter is on motion. Keep the floor and machine area around the equipment totally dry all the times.
It is also suggested that staging area and solid worktable area be made within easy access of the operator but at same time safe clearance for the operator to work and move around the inserter. Also a dust bin or dumpster be made available for easy disposal of trash. Maintaining a clean and organized working area is essential.
2. Dress for safety:
Inserters have moving part as well as stationary. The moving parts are usually moving in very high speed. Even though the safety covers are placed in strategic areas to avoid unintentional contact with these areas. It is very important that the operator follow a proper dress rule to be safe while operating inserting equipment.
- long, loose and extended out hair should be taken care, since it very necessary to avoid contact with any part of inserter. Try having hair back; secure it by having bun as far as possible.
- clothing: neckwear such as neckties, shirts, scarves, dresses or any other loose dress may create problem to safety. Also, shoes with insufficient grip or high heels should be avoided. Usually slippery and high heels may cause the operator to fall near on or into the inserting equipment. Wearing shoes that maintain grip on the floor is essential
- remove any kind of loose jewelry or article while operating inserter equipment.
The dress guideline is recommended not only for safety but also the operator can do work comfortably while using the equipment. Comfortable dresses become less fatigue and more safe.